I think everyone knows that fleas are not only annoying, but also potentially dangerous to animals. But there are a number of other pests that are also harmful to your furry friend. If you have a major infestation involving these bugs and you have pets at home, consider contacting pest control like Abell Pest Control.
Mosquitoes are blood-sucking insects that cause itching and skin irritation to pets. But more than that, these bugs also spread bacteria, virus and parasites. Among the most problematic issues brought about by mosquitoes is heartworm which causes severe lung disease, heart failure and even death.
Ticks are often found in long grassy and wooded areas. They latch onto pets and are rather difficult to remove. These bugs have been known to cause anemia in pets since they consume a lot of their blood. Moreover, female ticks can cause paralysis when they release toxins.
3. Stink Bugs
Stink bugs don’t bite or sting pets but if eaten, can cause vomiting, diarrhea and stomach upset. Eating large quantities of these bugs also cause digestive tract problems which may at times require surgery.
4. Bees and spiders
Bites and stings from bees and spiders are very dangerous to pets or any animal for that matter. But it’s especially risky for small animals, such as a cat/kitten or a toy-breed dog. Bees like Yellow Jackets cause swelling, mouth pain and allergic reactions, while spiders like the Black Widow or Brown Recluse can cause neuromuscular damage with just one bite.
Cockroaches usually steer clear of cats and dogs but are attracted to pet food. So if food is left in your pet’s bowl, then roaches could feast on it and there’s a very good chance they will spread bacteria and virus into the food.
Ants can bite and hurt your pet, causing skin irritation and swelling. But fire ants are the worse because the don’t only have painful stings but their venom can trigger an allergic reaction.
7. Rats and mice
Cats and dogs naturally like to chase rats and mice but it’s best you keep them away because ingesting rodents can have dangerous consequences. Rodents carry roundworms, bacteria and viruses which can be transferred to your pet. Plus there’s also a risk of secondary poisoning if you give a poisonous bait to the rodents.
Raccoons cause property damage, and they also attack cats and dogs. If bitten, rabies among other diseases could be transmitted and these things can prove to be fatal.
If your pet eats a poisonous insect, bug or rodent it may be a good idea to consult your vet to ensure the safety and well-being of your cat or dog. Depending on the type of critter they came in contact with, in some cases, emergency care may be needed. If you’re not sure whether your pet was attacked or got bitten by a poisonous creature, be on the lookout for the following symptoms:
- Excessive drooling
- Worms in stool
- Swollen mouth or face
- Lack of appetite
- Or any unusual behavior
Eliminate pests as soon as possible, and in a way that is safe for your family including your pet to avoid putting anyone at harm’s way.